We have noticed some confusion that people are thinking this project is connected with Edwards River Park, it is not This project is behind Edwards Corner. Edwards River Park is a 594 unit development with 85' tall buildings to be located at the old B&B gravel pit at Lake Creek Road and Hwy Six. For info and the petition to stop River Park please click below.
Currently Tract T, the hillside behind Edwards Corner is protected from development by plat notes put in place by the owner, Remonov & Co (aka developers Robt. Hernreich and Rick Mueller) and limits use to "Pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicular access, drainage structures, landscaping, utilities, trails and open space"
After paying virtually no taxes for over 30-years (in exchange for keeping the space open space), they want to remove the restrictions and make millions off developing the parcel.
They want to build a 7-story dormitory like 263 unit 'affordable" employee housing project called "The Hive". The units would be dormitory style 180-300 sq feet (keep in mind a small parking space is 162 about sq feet, or 18 sq feet smaller than the proposed "units" in comparison) and rent from $1750 to $2,150 per month plus an additional charge of $650 for a second person in the room. But only 70 % of the total units would be restricted to employee housing, the other 30% (79 units) could be rented out to weekend skiers who want to rent monthly during the season, or possibly short termed out like hotel rooms.
Remonov Companies are asking for a long list of things, including abatement of road impact fees, a temporary property tax exemption, waiver of review fees and possibly low interest loans from government entities. These requests could cost the tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars.
They are also asking that the maximum building height in Edwards be increased from 35' to 75' and a reduction in parking requirements.
No, the issue here is the integrity of the Eagle County Land use process in terms of abating property taxes in exchange for developers giving up development rights. the developer cut a deal with the taxpayers and the neighboring community, he needs to honor that deal.
This is also about honoring and abiding by the Edwards Master Plan. To blatantly ignore it would be to diminish the work of those citizens who collectively vested hundreds of hours of volunteer time in crafting a plan for the communities future.
The plan contains several objectives to guide future decisions in Edwards, While crafting the plan community members specifically discussed the future of Tract T and the consensus of the group was the plat notes should remain in place and the future land use map was amended changing the preferred use of Tract T from commercial development to open space and recreation. That change was later ratified by the Planning Commission and the Eagle County Board of Commissioners. Notably, Rick Mueller of Remonov Companies was in the room for these discussions and did not utter a word of protest about the change to his property.
"Higher densities and intensities of use may be appropriate on lands adjacent to Hwy 6 west of the Commercial Core and also adjacent tot he Spur Road the I-70 interchange" Tract T does not meet this requirement
"Developments that contain workforce housing should provide parks and playgrounds or should provide safe access to existing public parks and playgrounds" Nearby parks are privately owned by Homestead and while they no doubt will be used by residents of "The Hive" it will be at the expense the Homestead HOA to maintain the extra wear and tear.
"New development should “fit” with natural terrain and site
features, avoiding steep slopes, ridgetops, floodplains,
productive agricultural lands, and significant stands of native trees" Tract T is a steep slope
New development should protect natural resources,
incorporating open spaces and appropriate setbacks to buffer
human activities from streams, wetlands, wildlife habitat and
other sensitive lands" This development is being built on what is currently open space
Aesthetic and functional characteristics that contribute to a
small town feel and pedestrian scale should be preserved. The
relationship of building height to pedestrian scale and small
town feel should be identified for each new project. The proposed building is a 7-story building with no "small town feel"
Land use and policy decisions should reflect community input,
and should be transparent, collaborative and in concert with
applicable Eagle County master plans, guidelines and strategic priorities. Clearly this project is not in concert with the Edwards Master plan as it violates all of the above points
GET INVOLVED! SIGN THE PETITION AND YOU WILL GET EMAIL UPDATES ON COUNTY PLANNING AND COMMISSION MEETING SCHEDULES YOU CAN SHOW UP FOR, YOU WILL ALSO RECEIVE EMAIL ADDRESSES OF IMPORTANT PEOPLE TO CONTACT PRIOR TO THE MEETINGS IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND AND SPEAK OUT.